Thursday, March 8, 2012

"The Diagnosis"

"The Diagnosis" from I AM Curly Locks Blog

After a late night visit to the emergency in December, while pregnant with my daughter Eliana, they told me that something was different about my pregnancy.  When doctor's say stuff like that, it puts you on edge.  I was completely frantic, and when I went to a follow up appointment two weeks later and heard "the news," I was a complete mess.  The tears were flowin', emotions roarin', and  I didn't really understand what was going on.  They referred me to the genetics department, which didn't make the situation sound any better.

My meeting with genetics went a little something like this.  Heartbeat, heartbeat, thump-thump, thump-thump, heartdrop, tears, tears, and tears as I was told that my daughter would have clubbed feet and, wait  for it, Spina Bifida.   When this diagnosis came, it seemed like a death sentence as they told me the options, "You are early enough in your pregnancy, if you don't want to continue on with it. Termination is  an option as this will be hard on your fairly new marriage and your one year old..."

I couldn't believe the words I was hearing.  My mind raced, an unspoken dialogue of heartbreak taking over my mind.  I was put into one of the most challenging experiences in my life, and you want to talk about "The Option," which was no option for me.


Note: This is just the beginning official blog launch April-May. In the mean time feel free to check out my personal blog at www.iamcurlylocks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment